Thursday, August 7, 2008

War of Words

Last evening, i was having just that with a friend of mine, who had a comment on an old blog of mine (which i retired from service for more than obvious reasons). She found it rediculous. the bone of contention happened to be an extract from Michael Crichton's State of Fear. the whole excerpt is one of my favorite passages by one of my favorite writers. the whole argument began to get heated when it found it pointless for me to put someone else's work on my blog, though i had stated very clearly that the entire passage if From Crichton's work and all that jazz. She certainly thought it bordered on plagarism.
So we came to this fundemental question - what then is a blog? well, for me it certainly is not an anthology of all my literary accomplishments that it should state and contain only words that originated from my fingertips. I'd rather picture my blog as my scrap book - something where i can put what i feel, either write them or if i found them somewhere put it here, so somebody else can also have a look at it - comment on it, tell me what they feel about it. Well, as long as i dont put up Crichton's work on my blog and try to pass it off as mine, i thinkits alright.
Your comments?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What's yours is yours.
This 'friend' is very foolish.

cYpHr said...

i wouldn't go so far to say foolish; just a little blinded
:^ )